Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TRES CHIC DESIGNS WELCOMES ITS FIRST FEATURED ARTISAN - GLORIA COHEN OF BAD DOG JEWELS, JUNE 23, 2010


I am so happy to finally post the interview I did with my good friend and
fellow artisan/jewelry designer, Gloria Cohen, of BAD DOG JEWELS!

Name: Gloria Cohen

Business Name: Bad Dog Jewels

Website: http://www.zibbet.com/baddogjewels

Home: Hingham, MA

What is it that you design and create?

I’ve been making jewelry for about eight years and I’m interested in many different kinds of jewelry. I started with wirework, added metal and then got interested in chain maille. Once I learned fusing, another aspect of jewelry making was available to me. I’ve made pieces that reflect all of these techniques.

What is your favorite part of the design process?

Once a design is in place, my favorite part is the process of creating the piece; working with the raw materials to the finished piece is the part that is exciting for me.

How did you come up with your business name?

I once had a dog when I lived in the city. I came home from work and found him chewing one of my shoes. When I was looking for a name, an image of that dog came to mind and Bad Dog Jewels was born.

When and how did it all begin?

About eight years ago, when I was working the 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm shift, I was online and found a tutorial written by Connie Fox, a wonderful jewelry designer, for a beautiful lamp work and wire bracelet. I decided I could do this and bought some copper wire at the hardware store along with some beads and inexpensive tools and made my first wire and bead bracelet. I was thrilled.

Who or what inspires you?

I’m inspired mostly by shapes and forms I see around me; cobblestones, grates, stones. About two years ago, I made a necklace, I call “Shield Necklace”. It was inspired my neighbor’s beautiful dry stacked rock wall. It’s a wall constructed without cement with many sizes and shapes of rocks that fit into the whole configuration. I see that wall everyday and I never get tired of looking at it. Other people’s jewelry inspires me. I’m always looking at jewelry. Ancient jewelry that’s simple inspires me. A lot of my pieces look like they could be relics.

What advice would you give other independent artists who are just starting out?

About five years ago, I took a jewelry class at a well known school in Boston. However, I was asked to leave the class by the teacher who was also the Director of the Jewelry program because my soldering skills weren’t up to her standards. I realized that I could learn on my own. I’m mostly self taught. There is a lot of material on the internet and many tutorials available. My advice to anyone starting out is buy some inexpensive tools, beads and wire and practice a lot before you buy expensive materials. You can make lovely jewelry with just a few tools, some wire and beads.

What music are you listening to?

Right now I’ve been listening to Joan Baez.

What TV show are you hooked on?

The Office and 30 Rock.

What was the last movie you saw?

The last movie I saw was Julie and Julia.

What is your favorite food?

An organic salad with lots of fresh greens and vegetables.

What is your favorite candy or treat?

Dark chocolate.

Coffee or Tea?

Coffee and Tea

What store could you walk around in for hours and be happy?

My local bead store.

Any pets?

A thirteen year old red cat named Dusty.

Favorite place to visit or would like to visit?

I don’t like to travel, so staying home is fine with me.

Celebrity crush?

No.

Favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving

If you were a shoe what shoe would you be?

A leopard skin high heeled shoe.  *I knew we would be friends with that answer!!! LOL*

What do you secretly wish you could do or be?

I’m really content with the place I’m at in my life right now, making jewelry.

Favorite piece of clothing?

My black Coach Bag.

Do you speak any languages or want to learn one?

Maybe when I retire from my job.

Plans for yourself/business?

I’ve always been more focused on making jewelry than selling jewelry. My plan is to just keep learning different techniques and incorporate them into my pieces.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART, I AM GOING TO SHARE SOME PHOTOS OF SOME OF GLORIA'S WORK! 
I am proud to say I was able to purchase this before someone else snagged it!! 
One of my favorite pieces of jewelry!!


What great rings!  I cannot imagine doing metalsmithing!!


This is so pretty - love the balance of beads with the metal!


Another of her pieces I covet!!!







I cannot imagine doing this.....doesn't this look like it
requires patience??  Beautiful!



OK - I honestly, snagged these too, and had her make a similar pair for my Sis!
Love her designs!

Another lovely pair of earrings!


And she does rings..........all the things I love!!

Really gorgeous lampwork orb necklace!


OK, now I know Gloria is currently having a 20% off sale in her on-line store at
What wonderful timing for those of you who are looking for something
really special for yourself or someone you love.

MY THANKS TO GLORIA, FOR ALLOWING ME TO SHOW OFF HER WORK
ON MY BLOG!  THANKS A BUNCH!



1 comment:

  1. It was such a privilege to share this designers creations with everyone! I am in awe of anyone who does metalsmithing!! Hope you all enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete